I wanted to share the reading lessons and activities that our family will be doing for each day of Holy Week.
There are tons of great resources out there and we have used many in the past. But, we have a family with kids ranging 5-14 so I tried to include some elements of thinking and discussion for the older kids as well as some activities that the whole family could do together.
Holy Week Lessons
These 6 lessons are meant to help your family focus on Jesus during Passion/Holy Week leaving Easter Sunday for your family to worship at church. Each day has a reading, discussion questions, and activities. At the end of the post you will also find extra supplemental ideas that you may want to incorporate as well. The scripture readings come from the book of Mark. Some portions are long so you might chose to summarize for younger children or read from a story book Bible.
If you are looking for something a bit more simple or better suited to a younger crowd, try this Countdown to Easter with the “I am” statements of Jesus.
Day 1- Monday after Palm Sunday
Reading: Mark 11:12-24
- WHY DO YOU THINK JESUS CURSED THE FIG TREE?
- WHAT DOES THIS SHOW ABOUT HIS POWER?
- WHY DO YOU THINK JESUS GOT ANGRY IN THE TEMPLE?
- WHAT DOES IT MEAN “MY HOUSE WILL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER”?
- PRAY FOR THE LORD TO CLEANSE OUR HEARTS OF ANYTHING THAT DISHONORS HIM.
- SET THE TIMER FOR 15 MINUTES AND GIVE EVERYONE A CLEANING CHORE. MAKE IT A FUN RACE AGAINST TIME. TALK ABOUT HOW JESUS CLEANED THE TEMPLE.
- Note: I gave a reward after the kids did the cleaning. The older kids complained a little at first but then once the timer was set, they really got into out doing one another.
- Just for Mom- How to Keep a Clean Heart
Day 2-Teaching Tuesday
Reading: Mark 12:28-44
- WHY DO YOU THINK JESUS SPENT HIS ENTIRE TUESDAY TEACHING THE DISCIPLES?
- HOW CAN WE LOVE GOD WITH OUR “MIND, HEART, AND STRENGTH’?
- WHAT DOES IT MEAN “LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF”?
- HOW DID THE WIDOW GIVE MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE?
- HOW CAN YOU GIVE ALL YOU HAVE TO GOD?
- MAKE A CARD OR BAKE A TREAT FOR YOUR NEIGHBORS AND LEAVE THE SCRIPTURE FROM MARK 12:31 WITH IT.
- Crafts and other activities for Teaching Tuesday:
- Just for Moms: Live Like Jesus
Day 3-Holy Week Wednesday Lessons
Holy Wednesday is tricky because the Bible doesn’t give any indication of what Jesus did. We assume that He spent lots of time in prayer, preparing His disciples, and resting up for the events to come. So, we are going to focus on rest today!
Reading: Mark 6:31-46
- WHY DO YOU THINK JESUS WANTED HIS DISCIPLES TO REST?
- HOW DOES YOUR FAMILY REST?
- WHAT WAS THE LAST THING JESUS DID IN THIS SCRIPTURE?
- DO YOU THINK THAT IF JESUS GOT ALONE TO TALK WITH GOD IN PRAYER THEN IT’S IMPORTANT FOR US TOO?
- MAKE SOME GOALS FOR MORE REST AND TIME IN PRAYER AS A FAMILY.
- WHAT DO YOU THINK JESUS MIGHT HAVE BEEN DOING ON THIS WEDNESDAY OF HOLY WEEK? DRAW A PICTURE OR WRITE A STORY TO EXPLAIN.
- PRAY: PRAY FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE STRUGGLING TO REST IN THIS PANDEMIC.
- Printable Prayer Pages for Kids
- Just for Mom: To the Mom who Needs Rest, God Multiplies Faithfulness in Motherhood
Day 4-Maundy Thursday
Reading: Mark 14:17-72
NOTE: THIS IS A LARGE PORTION OF SCRIPTURE. YOU MAY WISH TO SUMMARIZE FOR THE LITTLES OR ONLY READ THE LORD SUPPER AND JESUS’ ARREST.
- WHY DO WE TAKE THE LORD’S SUPPER?
- HOW DO YOU THINK JESUS FELT KNOWING THAT JUDAS WOULD BETRAY HIM? HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ABOUT EATING DINNER WITH SOME ONE WHO WOULD BETRAY YOU?
- WHY WAS JESUS ARRESTED?
- HOW DID PETER FEEL ABOUT DENYING JESUS?
- HAVE A MOCK LAST SUPPER WITH GRAPE JUICE AND BREAD. EXPLAIN THE SIGNIFICANCE OF EACH.
- VERSE 26 SAYS THEY SANG A SONG ON THE WAY TO THE MOUNTAIN. CHOSE A WORSHIP SONG TO SING TOGETHER AFTER SUPPER.
- SET UP A BOWL OF WATER AND WASH YOUR CHILDREN’S FEET BEFORE BED. READ JOHN 13:4-11. EXPLAIN THE HUMILITY OF WHAT JESUS DID. (Teaching Our Children to Serve)
- GAME: SLEEPING LIONS
- All players but one are “lions”, and lie down on the floor, eyes closed, as if they were sleeping. The hunter moves about the room attempting to encourage the lions to move. The player can’t touch the lions, but may whisper to them, try to make them laugh or get their attention. Any person who moves must stand up and join the hunter.
- Take it further: Explain that when we are asleep, just like the lions, we have no power! We have to watch and pray like Jesus.
- Just for Moms: The Lord Will Fight for You
Day 5-Good Friday
Reading: Mark 15 (OR SUMMARIZE)
- WHAT WAS SO SIGNIFICANT ABOUT JESUS TAKING BARABBAS’ PLACE?
- WHY DID JESUS HAVE TO DIE ON THE CROSS?
- WHY DIDN’T JESUS JUST GET DOWN FROM THE CROSS IF HE WAS GOD?
- HOW DOES THE STORY OF THE CROSS MAKE YOU FEEL?
- THANK JESUS FOR DYING ON THE CROSS FOR OUR SINS.
- SHARE THE PLAN OF SALVATION. (10 Ways to Share the Gospel for Families)
- USE A POSTER BOARD TO MAKE A LARGE HANDPRINT CROSS. WRITE “JESUS DIED FOR EVERYONE.” HANG IT IN THE WINDOW TO SHARE THE GOOD NEWS WITH YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.
- Just for Moms: The Parable of the Lost Ring
- TAKE A GOOD FRIDAY NATURE WALK:
- Find “thorns” for the crown of thorns placed on Jesus’ head.
- Make a cross out of sticks, blades of grass, or whatever you can find.
- Find a huge rock like the one rolled in front of Jesus’ tomb.
- Find signs of “new life” and talk about how Jesus’ death brings us new life.
- See if you can find some branches that symbolize the palms laid for his entry into Jerusalem.
Day 6-Silent Saturday
Reading: Mark 16
EVEN THOUGH JESUS DID NOT TRULY RISE UNTIL THE FOLLOWING DAY, I CHOSE FOR US TO STUDY THE IMPORTANCE OF THE RESURRECTION EARLY SO WE CAN JOIN WITH OUR CHURCH FAMILY SUNDAY.
- TALK ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF THE SABBATH FOR THE JEWS.
- WHAT DOES MARK 16:1 SAY TOOK PLACE ON SATURDAY?
- WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO US THAT jESUS IS ALIVE?
- WHAT IS THE COMMAND JESUS GIVES HIS FOLLOWERS IN V.15-18?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO AFTER HE APPEARED ON THE EARTH?
- PLAY TWO TRUTHS AND A LIE. TALK ABOUT HOW WE KNOW GOD’S WORD IS TRUTH AND JESUS IS ALIVE!
- WRITE WITH CHALK “HE IS ALIVE” TO SPREAD THE GOOD NEWS.
- PLAY HIDE AND SEEK AND TALK ABOUT HOW THE WOMEN WENT SEARCHING FOR JESUS BUT HE WASN’T THERE!!
- DO AN EGG HUNT WITH ONE EMPTY EGG OR RESURRECTION EGGS.
- Just for Moms: Dethrone Self, Enthrone Christ
Extra Holy Week Lessons ideas:
Our family always dyes Easter Eggs on the Weekend and tells the colors of the gospel story. We also have a big feast to celebrate our Risen Savior!
What kinds of lessons and traditions does your family have for Holy Week or Easter? Please share in the comments. I know others want to see.
Sharing is caring. Click below to pin on Pinterest so other Mommas can join in.