My eight year old daughter got on this kick earlier in the year when she was asking me if things would last forever. Not sure where it came from but it seemed to be one of those exaggerations we often do taken to extremes. You know when we say like, “I have to fold a million load of laundry today.”
She had a rash that we had to put cream on and she asked in exasperation if we would be doing this forever. But, forever wasn’t always negative. She played softball for her third year and when the season ended, she asked why she couldn’t play softball forever.
Not sure how you have felt about this past year but whether you want your current situation to “last forever” or you are praying it “doesn’t go on another minute”, truth is, “nothing lasts forever”. Seriously, I think it’s a line in like 5,000 songs and every sappy movie ever.
But, in regards to living in this world, it’s TRUE. Nothing on this earth lasts forever. Our bodies get old; we die. Friendships fade. Trends come and go. Even the soil is eroding away and the stars fall. So, what can we count on in a body and world that are slowly passing away? What kind of good things last forever??
Just like LeVar Burton use to say on Reading Rainbow, “But, you don’t have take my word for it.”
Here are 4 things that scripture tells us last far beyond our time on this earth and into eternity:
1. God is Eternal
Our God is the everlasting God. He always was and always will be. If we put our time and effort into being more mindful of God’s presence and knowing Him more, we are certain to walk in His counsel and accomplish His purposes here on earth. How could we go wrong getting to know the Ruler of the world better?
- “Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” I Timothy 1:17
- “The Lord shall reign forever and ever.” Exodus 15:18
- “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.” Isaiah 40:28
- “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” Revelation 1:8
2. God’s Word Lasts Forever
The Bible is God’s truth. It contains the history of the world, knowledge of good and evil, God’s plan for salvation, His love for His people, and prophecy about what will happen in the future. The promises and words found in it are true then, now, and for all time. His word stands forever.
- “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.” Matthew 24:35
- “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever.” Isaiah 40:8
- “For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations.” Psalms 100:5
How to Draw Near to God in Child-like Faith
3. God’s People Can Look Forward to Eternity
The best part about serving an everlasting God who gives eternal promises in His word and plan is that we get to experience forever with Him. Jesus said he gives us eternal life and that He went to prepare a place for us in heaven. We have the hope of entering a rest with our God in heaven where there is no more pain or tears. Hallelujah!
- “And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matthew 25:46
- “For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.” Galatians 6:8
- “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16
- And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:3
- “And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelations 21:3-4
- Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:13-14
4. Answered Prayers Outlive Us All
We can ask anything in prayer according to God’s will and know that whatever He accomplishes has an impact on eternity. When we pray for the lost to be saved , we are praying for a soul that will enter eternity. When we pray for God’s will to be done, we are asking Him to use us to build His kingdom and we can know that the effects are everlasting because His word and way are always.
- “Again I say to you, that if two of you will agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.” Matthew 18:19
- “Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.” Mark 11:24
- “And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” John 14:13-14
- “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. ” Ephesians 6:18
We have already settled that God is eternal and His word is eternal. So, it stands to reason that the prayers He answers on behalf of His children are eternal. We should pray BIG prayers that have eternal impact…prayers for salvation and God’s will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. Let’s persevere in prayer!
I’m not sure about you but it seems to me that the investment with the biggest return is the pay off that lasts forever. So, let’s challenge ourselves this year to put time into what lasts forever: studying God’s word, prayer, and putting time and energy into serving and encouraging those in the body of Christ. This includes our spouse and children!!
31 Days of Praying for Our Children
7 Days of Praying Over our Boys
Sharing is caring. Follow the link on the image below to pin on Pinterest.
12 thoughts on “4 Things That Last Forever”
Amen on what we should be putting our time into – those things that last forever. And praise His name for the things that are eternal already. Beautifully written, Arrica! 💜
Thank you Leslie. Yes, our God is so good to allow us to get in on His eternal purposes.🙌
Thank you so much for these post. I am so proud of you and Matt for all the work you do for the Lord!
On Sun, Dec 29, 2019, 4:24 PM A Child Shall Lead Them wrote:
> arricahess posted: ” My eight year old daughter got on this kick earlier > in the year when she was asking me if things would last forever. Not sure > where it came from but it seemed to be one of those exaggerations we often > do taken to extremes. You know when we say like, ” >
Thank you for the encouraging words Mrs. Pam. Praising God for allowing us to get on on His work!!
Ohhh. This is oxygen for me today, Arrica. Thanks so much. And someday He will make all things NEW. Forever.
Amen Cheryl!! 🙌 So amazing how God always supplies what we need. Praising God that it blessed your heart.❤
This is so on point! Thank you for bringing us back to these simple truths. ❤
Thank you for reading! Praying it helps us all to focus on eternity and putting our time and energy into what lasts forever this year.❤
What a great reminder to focus on the things that last forever!
Pingback: Christian Family Goals Examples - A Child Shall Lead Them-Finding Joy in Motherhood
Pingback: Bible Verses About Wisdom and Knowledge - Megan Allen Ministries