Some of these moms are famous, some are great, some are real, and some are down right nasty. We can learn from good and bad examples of moms in the Bible. Check out these women, their lives, how they mothered, how they failed, how they triumphed, and how we can be challenged by how they lived!
You can use these as a study on moms in the Bible. Or, you can pick a character trait and learn from her. They would be great to share to encourage other moms or as a Mother’s day topic. However you choose to use them, open your Bible first, read the story, and then take the extra background and lessons as a supplement.
Why Study Moms in the Bible?
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV
All scripture has been inspired by God and is useful for teaching, correcting and training us. As mothers, we are servants of God called to raise image bearers of Him. To be equipped for good works in motherhood, we must learn from His scriptures.
So, it reasons that learning from mothers who are mentioned in the Bible would be a practical way for us to be taught, corrected, and trained to be the mother God means for us to be. It is important to mention that aside from Jesus, no one is perfect. We can learn from these mother’s strengths, weaknesses, victories, failures, and faith.
Great Mothers in the Bible
I chose to call these great moms because their example is noted as favorable in the Bible and to emulate them would only enhance our faith.
Hannah– Hannah is the praying Mom. We can learn a lot from her quiet but bold faith.
Mary– Ponder all these things in your heart.
Elizabeth– We can learn a lot from this Older Mom with a quiet faith.
Eunice– What a legacy she passed on to her son. How can we impact the next generation like Eunice?
Jochebed-A courageous and God fearing mom.
Real Moms in the Bible
I chose to call these moms real because while they are not all bad, they certainly had some rough patches. We can learn from their examples both good and bad.
Eve– The mother of all living things knew paradise and then suddenly the punishment for sin.
Hagar– From one weary mom to another- To the Mom Who Needs Rest
-Hagar learns about El Roi-The God Who Sees Her
Rebekah– Family strife marks the life of Rebekah- Control can Destroy and Consequences of Having a Favorite Child.
Naomi– Learn from a mom who struggled and how to turn sorrow and bitterness to joy in the Lord.
Bad Moms in the Bible
After you read about these moms, you will not doubt agree, the are just BAD MOMS! They read like a what not to do manual.
Jezebel and Athahliah– This mother and daughter duo give new meaning to bad moms. They were pure evil. Learn how ungodly living can influence the next generation.
Herodias– Vindictive and evil moms give really bad advice.
Is there a mom in the Bible that you have admired or learned a lot from? I’d love to hear about it in the comments. I think next, I’d like to study Bathsheba.
Scriptures about Moms in the Bible
I thought I might add in some scriptures that specifically talk about moms in the Bible for further study.
- Deuteronomy 6:6–7 ESV: “And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.”
- Proverbs 31:31 ESV: “Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
- Isaiah 66:13a ESV: “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.”
- Isaiah 49:15 ESV: “Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?”
- Proverbs 31:28–29 ESV: “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.'”
- Luke 2:51b ESV: “But his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.”